Friday, December 08, 2006

A resolution revolution for the Dumaguete website?


Oh wad some power the giftie gie us
To see oursel’s as others see us!
It wad frae monie a blunder free us,
And foolish notion.

from Robert Burns' poem: A Louse

Robert Burns' words are as true today as they were 200 years ago;the words are as relevant in this day of PCs and cellphones as they were in the early days of the steam engine.
I can't say enough about how much I love Google Analytics.I learn something from every day.Today I took a look at the website stats from the webmaster view rather than the executive view I normally used.From that view, I've learned that 60% of the site's viewers are using Internet Explorer when they look at my site....I'm more inclined to use Firefox as my browser.I also found out that most viewers of my site have their resolution set at 1024 x 768.Mine was set at 800 x 600 but I set the resolution to 1024 x 768 to "To see oursel’s as others see us!". Very enlightening.
For my tastes, the page written with 800 x 600 in mind doesn't look as good when viewed under the other resolution. Because most folks aren't using the same resolution as I've been using, I'm going to have to make some changes to make the site look it's best.Gives me something to work on.......as if I don't have enough to do.

1 comment:

Corey said...

I like seeing what visitors are typing into search engines to find the site (under the Search Engine Marketing report section). My favorite is probably "dinuguan white guy".

It is also interesting to see where the visitors are coming from. Just under 70% of mine come from keyword searches...which means the other 30% or more come through other blogs, or e-mail links, or through bookmarks, etc. Lots to learn about your traffic.