Friday, December 01, 2006

All eyes on Dumaguete

From the very beginning, the greatest number of hits to the website have come from the U.S.A.. Of course, that's understandable.The U.S. is huge and millions have access to the Internet.We also have to take into account that there are countless numbers living here who were born in Philippines or otherwise have some sort of connection with the country.
There's been an interesting turn of events; within the last two days, the site has been getting more and more hits from Philippines;Cebu being the city with the most visitors, worldwide.
There also seems to be greater traffic on the pen pals page.....though no pen pals are signing up.
It's obvious that I'm going to have to take another route.
There are basically two types of Filipinas viz a viz the Internet. There is one group which is technically savvy and knows how to navigate the Internet.Unfortunately, my website isn't equipped to provide the high level of computer sophistication that these ladies are accustomed to.They want to be able to chat online ( like on Yahoo) and they expect us to be more like Friendster.
The other type of Filipina is one who has not had the opportunities to use computers the way the first group has. Most in the 2ND group are unlikely to have email and they don't know their way around the Web. The 2ND group would benefit more from a site that accommodated a "snail mail" approach. These ladies are unlikely to visit an Internet cafe and are unable to scan and upload their photos or check email on a regular basis.
The problem I have is in reaching these potential applicants. I don't really see any other way of doing that except being there in person and doing it myself.
I'm getting more hits everyday from Philippines and perhaps I may begin to get a few responses......but I am not as optimistic about that as I once was.

2 comments:

Corey said...

Good morning,

I have also seen the highest number of visitors coming from Cebu, followed by Manila. Of course, Rome Georgia has the most of all, but I know this is you ;)

There is a relatively low-tech pen pal site at www.christianpenpals.com. This is actually where I found Marilyn, believe it or not. There seem to be a fair number of Filipinos on that site, so perhaps you can take a peak and see what the webmasters have done.

In order to respond to profiles I had to pay $12 per year. However, posting profiles is free, and I suspect many of the Filipino ladies on that site just post their profiles and wait for responses. At the very least, most have an e-mail link, but if not they'll include their street address or phone number. I'm not sure I would include such information for all to see online, but many of them do.

Anonymous said...

nice, comfy place you got here :)..